Payment Assistance

Payment Assistance   

View our Assistance Programs Agency List (DOC) of local agencies available to assist you.

Home Heating Credit

Apply for a Home Heating Credit (HHC) to help pay winter heating bills if you meet the listed household income guidelines and exemptions.  You may claim an exemption for yourself, your spouse, and other dependents.  Additional exemptions may also be available.  HHC is supported by the Federal LIHEAP.

To apply, call the Treasury at (517) 636-4486, or visit the Michigan Department of Treasury website.  To find an agency that assists with tax preparation, contact 2-1-1.

View the Home Heating Credit Checklist (PDF)

Emergency Relief Program

State Emergency Relief (SER) is a crisis intervention program that provides assistance for energy-related expenses such as heating fuel, electricity, and home repairs.  SER is supported by the Federal Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).

Eligibility is based on one of the following:

  • Demonstration of immediate need (past due/Shutoff notice)
  • Declared need for a deliverable fuel such as propane
  • Verified need for energy-related home repair
  • Income
  • Assets

Apply online at the MI Bridges website.

Need help applying?  Visit the Michigan Bridges website to find community partners.

Low-Income Home Weatherization

Michigan's Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) is a federally funded, low-income residential energy conservation program providing free home energy conservation services to eligible homeowners and renters with a household income at or below 20% of the federal poverty level.  You are also eligible if you participate in the Department of Health and Human Services Family Independence Program or receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).  These weatherization services can help reduce your energy use and lower utility bills.

If you qualify, a trained inspector will assess your home and determine which measures will be the most beneficial for you.  Measures may include adding caulking and weather stripping; wall, basement, and attic insulation ad ventilation; and smoke detectors.  Contact your local Community Action Agency or go to the Michigan Community Action Website for more information or to find the community action agency in your area.  For additional information on saving energy and money, visit the Department of Energy website.

Michigan 211

Michigan 211 is a one-stop, around-the-clock free phone and online service that links people with information or agencies that can help with utility assistance and other needs such as rent payment help, child and elder care, emergency shelters, job training, counseling, etc.  Simply dial 211 on your phone or visit the 211 Michigan Website and click Search Resource Database to get connected to available services.

Medical Emergency Protection

You can receive a medical hold preventing services from being shut off for non-payment of your electric bill for up to 21 days if you or a member of your household has an existing medical condition that would be aggravated by the lack of utility service.  Your condition must be certified by a physician or public health office on a Michigan Public Service Commission approved Medical Certification Form.  The form must state the medical condition, medical equipment, and specific time period a shutoff of utility service would make the medical condition worse.  If the shutoff of service occurred before a medical emergency is approved, the utility will restore service at no cost to you for 21 days.

You can obtain an extension of the medical hold and postponement of shutoff of service for a total of 63 days (three separate medical holds) in a 12-month period per household member.  Annually, the cooperative is not required to grant shutoff extensions totaling more than 126 days per household.  Members would be granted a three-business day grace period from shutoff of utility service for a time to have the Medical Certification Form completed.  You will not be required to pay for an after-hours reconnect fee or a deposit as a condition of restoring service.

Medical Certification Form (PDF)

Shut-off Protection for Active Duty Military

If you or your spouse is the cooperative member of record and either of you are called to full-time active military service by the President of the United States or the Governor of Michigan, during a national or state emergency or war, you may apply for shutoff protection of your electric service for up to 90 days.  You may also reapply for extensions of this protection.  Alger Delta may request verification of active duty status.  In addition, you must notify the cooperative when your status changes.  Contact the cooperative to set up a payment for all past due amounts to be paid within 12 months.  You will still be required to pay for services used while in the program.

MI Veterans Trust Fund Emergency Grant

The Trust Fund provides temporary assistance to veterans and their families facing a financial emergency or hardship including the need for energy assistance.  For more information call the Michigan Veterans Trust Fund at (517) 284-5299 or visit the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency website.

MI Energy Assistance Program (MEAP)

Once you submit a State Relief application, additional assistance can be sought through agencies that provide MEAP energy assistance programs that include services that will enable you to become or move toward becoming self-sufficient, including assisting you in paying your energy bills on time, budgeting for and contributing to your ability to provide for energy expenses, and assisting you in being energy-efficient.

Need help applying for State Emergency Relief?  Find a MI Bridges Navigator near you by visiting the Michigan Bridges website to find community partners.

The MEAP is supported by the state's Low Income Energy Assistance Fund (LIEAF).  An electric utility that chooses not to collect for the LIEAF shall not shut off service to customers for non-payment between November 1 and April 15.  For a list of electric providers that opt-out of collecting the LIEAF go to the State of Michigan website.

Program specifications and requirements are updated in the Fall. Please check this page annually for program updates.